I’m sure we all know by now that LinkedIn is the Social Network to be for professionals, enterpreneurs, managers since the majority of its users come from the professional and business world.
To make your presence on LI really effective, you must optimize your profile. To this purpose, keywords that characterize your profession, specialization and expertise should appear in 5 strategic sections in your profile:
- Headline: it’s the area immediately below your name. This is what visitors to your profile see first. Use the keywords that people would use when looking for what you offer (i.e. Social Media Strategist, Creative Writer) and address directly your clients with an attention-grabbing statement specifying what you can do for them.
- Current work experience: use descriptive keywords to describe what you do. So rather than “consultant”, say “financial consultant” or “London-based financial consultant” if you are focusing on your local market”.
- Past work experience: as in point 2, use descriptive keywords that are consistent with those used in the Headline.
- Link to your site/blog: you can customized this link (“vanity url”) using the keywords that identify you and your business. So, following the example of the consultant I’ve used so far, rather than using the word blog you can specify, for example, consulting services.
- Summary: in this section you can provide a detailed description of your specialization, the types of services you provide and the solutions you offer your clients. Keywords should be used in this section too.
Also include videos (where, for example, you may describe problems your clients frequently experience and how you helped them solve such problems ), pictures (of conferences, workshops, events you participated in or where you were one of the speakers) as well as slides you used for your presentations or in your webinars. These contribute to make you an authority in your field of expertise.
“Skills and Expertise” should be chosen carefully because they are also the keywords your potential clients use when searching on LI somebody with these specializations. You want to use them so that your name ranks first in the search results for your specific skills.
Have you already optimized your profile? Have you any other tip to suggest to optimized it? I’d love to hear from you. Please leave your questions and comments in the box below.
To your successful Social Media presence